Is OWL useful at all for Quantitative Science?

From: Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:38:53 -0400
To: public-semweb-lifesci <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
     Hello, All,

  There recent discussion has made me wonder, whether OWL is at all
useful to do quantitative science, if we insist that it is used
correctly (incorrect OWL seems to be useful).

  Can any one give me a simple example of a useful application of
correct OWL in quantitative science?

  I have tried to come up with a simple example. Feel free to come up
with a simpler one:

  Express in correct OWL: Washington DC is further away from Boston
than New York City

  Use case: I want to fly with my helicopter from Boston to either DC
or NYC, whichever is closer.

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
BioPAX Integration at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/biopax)