Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

From: Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:38:49 +1000
To: John Madden <john.madden@duke.edu>
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Michel_Dumontier <Michel_Dumontier@carleton.ca>, W3C HCLSIG hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
2009/3/27 John Madden <john.madden@duke.edu>:
> Hi Peter,
>

>> It would be infinitely better than seeAlso where you have no idea what
>> the intent is, other than it isn't owl:sameAs or anything else in
>> between.
>
> Of course, you could create a property ex:similarTo in your own namespace,
> and then declare that
>
>        ex:similarTo rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:seeAlso .
>
> Then you could just make some English language usage recommendations about
> ex:similarTo.

Yep, then program developers will know to emphasise this particular
link in a certain way, and not just dump it in the general links
category.

If anyone has suggestions for properties like this that would be
applicable to Bio2RDF database interlinks btw, Michel and I (and the
rest of the group) would be keen to hear about them so that we can put
them into practice.

Cheers,

Peter