Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

Phillip Lord wrote:

>>> So insulin is not a protein, wheras a dipeptide is?
>>>

>> indeed;  insulin is a protein complex, and a dipeptide, following this
>> and other similar definitions, is a protein.
>>

> Insulin is two polypeptide changes so following this definition is not a
> protein.

that's what i was saying:  that it is a protein complex, specifically,
an aggregate of two polypeptide chains.

it may sound revolutionary to you that insulin is not a protein, since
insulin is typically called a 'protein'.  but, provided one accepts a
definition like the one above, there is nothing wrong in saying that
insulin is not a protein.

i didn't say i supported the definition from biopax, though.  the one i
found in stryer's biochemistry seemed to concord with it (modulo the
somewhat unfortunate 'contains'), but i don't think those authors would
insist that insulin is not a protein, and that any dipeptide is a
protein;  biopaxers seem to do that.

i agree, of course, that insisting on definitions that are
counterintuitive to what experts in the field are used to think is not a
good idea.

vQ