Re: Less strong equivalences

Phil,
Wouldn't the structure of a molecule (seq for gene, bond connections for
chemical) be considered an instance in its own right? Consequently to your
point about 'classes',  the class of d-glucose molecules are really all
referring to the same Chem-Structure instance. Chemists will almost always
work with the structure entity and its associated (inferred) properties such
as mol weight, polarity, composition, etc.

Is it possible what we really need to address this "structure-identity"
issue for some of the points raised in this thread?

BTW, the "Carbon" in a periodic table is usually referred to by chemists as
an instance of type "Element".  Elements can be thought of as meta-classes
for atoms...
See,  scientists have already thought about the necessary differences when
it becomes necessary  ; )

cheers,
Eric