RE: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

Kei,
  To make correct semantic mapping, each of these has to be looked at
separately.

The wikipedia URI refers to a human readable article. If you look at the
categories it was placed into : Molecular biology | Nutrition | Proteins
| Proteomics, these relations don't reflect those of biological
entities. Even though there statements about real proteins in the
article, we have no such identifier for them.

The DBPedia URI refers to some mishmash of stuff whose attributes don't
really conform to anything in reality - at best - it is a DBPedia entry
:-) A major problem for people interested in querying linked data with
meaningful semantics - use rdfs:seeAlso.

The OBO URIs also suffer from the fact that there are numerous "Protein"
classes each having their own (human readable) description, and with
weird semantic descriptions.
 the Sequence Type ontology says a Protein (SO:0000104) is a Biological
Region (SO:0001411).
 The PSI-MI ontology says a Protein (MI:00326) is a Interactor type
(MI:00313)
 The FMA ontology says a Protein (FMA:67257) is a Standard FMA Class
(FMA:85800)
 The Gene Ontology says a Protein (GO:0003675) is a Thing (the entity
was removed, but then later added so the identifier wouldn't be reused)
 The CCO ontology says a Protein (CCO:U0000005) is a Gene Product
(CCO:U0000003), although proteins can be synthesized, and a Biological
Entity (CCO:U0000000)
 The PRO Ontology says nothing about a Protein (PRO:000000001), but if
you look at subclasses like that of RING-box protein 2 isoform 1
phosphorylated form (PRO:000000396), we _don't know_ that it is a type
of Protein, but is asserted it was derived from its unphosphorylated
form (PRO:000000178), even though this is not necessarily true (as many
biotransformations could results in that product).

So... this brief analysis is probably enough to strike fear and horror
in the hearts of those that love and cherish the logic-based foundations
of ontologies that are meant to describe the world that we live in, and
to cause concern for those who are arbitrarily throwing triples into
large hot cauldrons and hoping something magical emerges, and for those
who are pinning their hopes on a single unified ontology for all
things... good luck :-)

-=Michel=-

BTW I'm available as a knowledge engineering consultant!

rdf:about="http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/Q16665">