Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

From: Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:15:06 -0400
To: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
Cc: Mark Wilkinson <markw@illuminae.com>, W3C HCLSIG hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
     Hello Philip, All,

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Phillip Lord
<phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
> My own feeling is that it's biology which wove the web; we're just
> caught in the middle. What role for the web and semantics? Well, I think
> we need a coordinated, controlled and defined way of expressing our
> mutual confusion. I'd love to have a clear definition of gene (or
> protein). In it's absence, a good way of expressing "err..." is probably
> the best we can do.

  I don't know whether the BioPAX Level 2 definition of protein is the
most useful one, but at least it sounds clear to me:

  protein = anything containing exactly one polypeptide chain

  Clear enough?

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
BioPAX Integration at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/biopax)