Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

From: Mark Wilkinson <markw@illuminae.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:53:28 -0700
To: "Phillip Lord" <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>, "W3C HCLSIG hcls" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:25:30 -0700, Mark Wilkinson <markw@illuminae.com>
wrote:

> I agree - the issue also came up at the BioHackathon last week...
> basically, as Tom Oinn phrased it, "if you're thinking of using
> owl:sameAs... don't!"

That is the brief form of what he said... the longer statement, earlier in
the day, was "It's like handing someone a loaded gun, cocked and pointed
at their foot with their finger on the trigger, then giving them 10 cups
of coffee and have someone standing behind them with a pair of cymbals"

I love how flowery Tom can be!  His comment about a Starbucks raspberry
frappe with Pilchard was also quite memorable...

Mark D Wilkinson, PI Bioinformatics
Assistant Professor, Medical Genetics
The James Hogg iCAPTURE Centre for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Research
Providence Heart + Lung Institute
University of British Columbia - St. Paul's Hospital
Vancouver, BC, Canada