Re: Introduction(s) to HCLS IG

Hi everybody,

My name is Stefano Bocconi and I work for Elsevier in the context of the
European project OKKAM, which aims at providing unique identifiers to
entities so that different source of information can be linked when they
refer to the same entity. This includes structured data such as
databases and RDF repository, and unstructured data such as text
documents, web pages.
OKKAM's goal is to provide an infrastructure called  the Entity Name
Server (analogously to a DNS for entities) that given the description of
an entity, return its OKKAM id.

The part of the project I am responsible for is building applications
that make use of the ENS to provide value-added services. One of the
domain of interest is scientific publishing particularly in the field of
Biology. My specific interests are

1) adoption of OKKAM ids to entities in the Life Science/ Health Care domain
2) integration of existing identifiers so that OKKAM can serve as an
identifier resolver, a sort of bridge across different identifier systems
3) data integration that results once the identifiers are aligned.

My point of view is that of a computer scientist since I am not a
biologist, and hopefully I can contribute to the discussion in this group.

Best regards,

    Stefano Bocconi