Re: BioRDF Telcon

>> 1. We have text mined much of the Affymetrix GEO data, curated it and
>> imported it into  ArrayExpress - there is now much better sample
>> annotation than the native data in GEO. We also are running QC across
>> all the data files so we know which should be excluded for future
>> analyses.
> I think it's the right thing to do both to enrich data annotation and
> to enhance data quality. This will help data integration a lot.
>>
> Currently, we are exploring query federation in the neuroscience
> context. It'd be great if we can use the neuroscience use case(s) to
> help drive your ontology development for text mining and data
> visualization. In addition to the NIH neuroscience microarray
> consortium, it may be possible to collaborate with the Neuroscience
> Information Framework (NIF) to see if we can utilize some of its
> resources (e.g., neuron ontology).
Re-use of the neuron ontology is possible, but it depends on whether
there is available data to annotate either in ArrayExpress or GEO. If
you can get me a list of experiments accessions or pubmed ids I can see
if this is feasible

>> 3. We have summary level data of genes x conditions for ~30,000 hybs
>> worth of data in our gene expression atlas with p values indicating
>> relative under/over-expression. We are planning to export these as
>> triples as soon as we publish the atlas - these may be of interest.
>> www.ebi.ac.uk/gxa - there's an API at present, but it will be
>> improved in the next month or so.
> It fits well with what we're currently exploring in terms of gene list
> representation and linking genes and samples to existing ontologies.
> It'd be great if we can download or fetch RDF triples from EBI atlas.
We have a student starting work on this in a month, if you can produce
concrete use cases for how you want to access these data we can do
something.

>> 4. If neuroscience data is of specific interest we could do a themed
>> atlas release where we add datasets for a given community or project
>> and make these available. These can be identified by ArrayExpress or
>> GEO accession or pubmed and we can re-annotate the genes vs
>> Uniprot/Ensembl, add GO terms, etc and curate the sample attributes
>> and experimental variables. These pipelines are already in place as
>> part of our production workflow.
>
> I think it's a great idea to do a themed atlas (e.g., neuro-atlas). I
> just played with gxa a little bit. It's nice! For example, I could
> find genes that are over-expressed in the hippocampus brain region
> across different experiments. However, when I tried to do the same
> thing for neurons, there are only a few neuron types that I can
> select. It'd be nice if we can have more neuron types, for instance.

This is probably as we don't have data - here's a list of human
experiments with the term neuron - if any of these are useful, then I
can prioritise their curation and inclusion in an atlas release

 http://www.ebi.ac.uk/microarray-as/ae/browse.html?keywords=neuron&species=Homo+sapiens&array=&exptype=&pagesize=25&sortby=releasedate&sortorder=descending

and brain

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/microarray-as/ae/browse.html?keywords=brain&species=Homo+sapiens&array=&exptype=&pagesize=25&sortby=releasedate&sortorder=descending

--