Re: Microarray Experiment Context

Hi Satya, Jun et al,

I added to the list of provenance terms another a list of terms
extracted from the abstracts of the 4 microarray experiments listed in
[1].  The terms were automatically extracted from the abstracts using
the NCBO Annotator (http://bioportal.bioontology.org/annotator) with
NIFSTD being the ontology (one can also input multiple ontologies). We
can prune this list and combine with your list and to see what sort of
relationships exist among them. We can also go deeper into each paper to
see what additional terms/relationships we can find (e.g., at the level
of gene list). Based on these terms and relationships, we can start to
explore the type of semantic queries that can be answered as part of the
next step.

I found a couple of interesting issues using the Annotator.

1. It picked up the term "neurofibrillary tangle" but not its plural
form "neurofibrillary tangles". So it would be nice to include synonyms
even if these synonyms may not be included in the input ontology.
2. It didn't pick up "temporal and prefrontal cortex" even though
"temporal cortex" and "prefrontal cortex" are defined in NIFSTD

I wonder if tools like atag can help address these issues (what happens
if atags are applied to the abstracts). There are terms like "dopamine
neuron" that doesn't seem to be found in NIFSTD. I'll need to look into
it more and may check with the NeuroLex group on this.

Cheers,

-Kei

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/QueryFederation2