Re: BioRDF Telcon

mdmiller wrote:
> hi jim and lena,
>
> great progress!  this will be a nice tool.
>
> a couple of comments.
>
> 1) i think ProtocolApplication is based seen as an individual instance
> of the Protocol class.  quite often there are arguments whether
> ontologies should have individuals or be simply classes.  to me, that
> doesn't apply here where real world objects are being connected to
> ontologies.  the BioSource is realized as the  'Source Name' column in
> MAGE-TAB and those entries represent real people in studies, mice or
> rats in non-clinical studies, etc., and the characteristics values
> like age represent real individual instances of age.  in the same way,
> the values in the Protocol REF column of MAGE-TAB are real wet-lab or
> analysis individual instances of protocols, called protocol
> applications in MAGE-OM.
It sounds like we need to look at how to map column names and entries to
classes, instances, and relationships appropriately.

> failure to make this distinction, to me, has obscured how much value
> ontologies can have in the real world.  too often i see ontologies
> seen in and of themselves, which has its own value certainly, but not
> for the use cases i have dealing with real biological data.

To me, ontologies can be used to facilitate integrated semantic queries
across experiments/datasets.

> 2) the usefulness, for this use case, of the information between the
> 'Source Name' and its characteristics and the 'Derived Array Data
> Matrix File' or 'Derived Array Data File' has limited usefulness,
> error correction and normalization can make some difference but if the
> provider of the MAGE-TAB is trusted, all that is pretty routine these
> days.  the above combined with experimental factors and experiment
> design info is probably 95% to 99.9% the worthwhile information from
> the MAGE-TAB.  if one notices a difference in the final gene set
> between two experiments that look the same, only then it might be
> worthwhile going into more detail.
>
> and has been noted the MAGE-TAB information needs to be supplemented
> with the information on the final gene set, its expression values, and
> the higher-level level analysis that was used, that is buried in the
> paper usually.
While some of the protocols are standardized, the data protocols for
obtaining things like gene lists vary a lot. One of my questions is that
can such data analysis protocols be somehow entered into mage-tab.

> 3) i'm not sure if there was a desire to capture the raw data in the
> RDF. that will be, for affymetrix, a million to six million probes in
> the CEL file, even the processed data in the CHP file would have
> 20,000 to 60,000 probe sets.  i'm not sure if that is the best way to
> represent that.
At least for now, I don't think we need to convert the huge primary data
files (e.g., CEL file) into RDF. For the time being, we are more focused
on the processed gene lists that may be associated with more biological
meanings.

Cheers,

-Kei