Re: [ANN] News from the FlyWeb Project

Hi Chris,

Glad to know that you are interested.

Chris Mungall wrote:

> Hi Alistair
>
> The UI is very nice!
>
> I'm curious that you don't include any ontologies. The source datasets
> are quite ontology-centric (the Chado database in particular). The BDGP
> data includes annotation of each individual image with terms from
> fly_anatomy. This allows you to query for genes expressed in the brain
> (including its parts), or expressed in tissue derived from the
> neurectoderm for example.
>
> A while back I created a D2RQ mapping of both the BDGP InSitu databases
> and Chado. See:
>
>     http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/OBD:SPARQL-InSitu

Certainly we looked at your previous work. Actually our very first
version of in-house bdgp sparql endpoint was based on your work. Then,
we decided to take an incremental approach, matching only the minimal
subset of bdgp database for the need of our application.

We would have liked to use the fly_anatomy ontology to define the gene
expressions. However, when I had a briefly look of the bdgp database,
the accession numbers of the gene expression terms seem no longer to be
consistent with the latest fly_anatomy ontology [1]. For example, the
term "dorsal compartment" is associated with "FBbt:00005876" in the bdgp
database, while "FBbt:00005876" is named as "dorsal central
protocerebral neuroblast" in the fly_anatomy ontology. We would love to
have more information from BDGP team with respect to this.

[1] http://www.obofoundry.org/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?id=fly_anatomy

> In your Chado mapping, you're really just extracting synonym
> information. Is there really a need to define a new ontology here,
> rather than using, say, SKOS? Do you have plans to map more of the
> schema? I'm particularly interested in the representation of genomic
> intervals, and scalable querying.

The reason we used very light ontology-centric approach is because we
wanted to impose as little as possible any interpretation of the source
data. And same as what we did with BDGP database, we only extracted the
minimum set of information from chado schema. We are planning to extract
some other fields from flybase in the near future, driven by the needs
of our scientists. But if you have any use cases relating to the
"genomic intervals" information, we would be very interested to know:).

> You provide 3 SPARQL endpoints. It looks like you're doing the mashup in
> the UI. In many ways this is a traditional AJAX architecture, albeit
> with SPARQL endpoints rather than, say, a REST interface to a relational
> db. Did you find the triplestore/SPARQL route had particular advantages
> (or disadvantages)? What can you do that you can't do by simply going
> straight to the relational dbs?

One research goal of our project is to investigate to what extent the
existing semantic web technologies and tools could be used to support
real use cases; hence the sparql endpoints over all the datasets. And en
route to this, we have found out many interesting questions to answer,
such as scalability, identity mapping, etc.

We appreciated the flexibility of RDF data model, which allows us to
impose an RDF view of the source relational data based on the needs of
our application and to work with a very lightweight, unified data layer.
And also of course, mapping these interesting data resources into RDF
gives our the opportunity of linking our data resources to others,
making it possible to re-use and data integration.

In the future release, we are interesting in investigating some light
weight reasoning, such as searching for gene expression images using the
fly anatomy ontology, once we sort out some detailed ontology mapping
problem.

> I'm not sure why you needed to write your own SPARQL protocol on top of
> Jena. Isn't this what Joseki does?

The main reason was because (by the time of our experiment) Joseki did
not handle multiple concurrent connections to the underlying RDF store.
You could find more details from:
http://code.google.com/p/sparqlite/wiki/HomePage. :)

> Interested to see future developments

Jun