Re: The Open world assumption shoe does not always fit - was: RE: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Ontolog invited speaker session - Dr. Mark Greaves on the Halo Project - Thu 2008.06.19

Pat, John, Chimeze and all --

Illuminating discussion.

Two points:

1. If you move to from SQL-like NAF reasoning, to full FOL with closure
statements at the meta level, you may also be moving from low order
polynomial computational complexity to exponential, or even into the
undecidable region.  A succinct paper on this issue would be good to have.

2.  Some of the worry about SQL-NAF possibly leading to wrong conclusions
appears to come from the assumption that the intended real world meaning of
things like p133(?X,?Y) is nowhere documented.  However, if you attach
English sentences to  predicates [1], and hide the predicates themselves,
then answers from your deductions can be sentences like

 *"Assuming that we have all the relevant data, as of 20080627, Pat does not
work for IBM".  *

Then, there's no way for the English documentation to get separated from the
logic, because authors and users deal only with the executable English.
English explanations can also help to document how the answers are arrived
at.

These two points may also be relevant for RDF [2].

Thanks for your further thoughts.

                                         -- Adrian

[1]  Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English over SQL and
RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

[2]  www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent

Adrian Walker