Re: Multi-layered Knowledge Representations for Healthcare (was RE: An argument for bridging information models and ontologies at the syntactic level)

Hi Dan --

Thanks for your thoughts about this.

You wrote...

* If you used a modifier as you suggest below, you would need to modify many
of the hundreds of thousands of assertions represented in an ontology like
SNOMED.*

Actually, it seems that reasoning in executable English over SNOMED and
other ontologies could be a useful way of addressing your point that

*...it is impossible to create an ontology where everyone agrees with every
belief stated.*

The executable English can be used to say things like

   "according to SNOMED this-type1 and this-type2 are closely related but
not everyone agrees"

Users can then get English explanations showing the pertinent entries in
SNOMED, and showing who disagrees and why and for what purposes.

How does that sound?

If it's of interest, we can put up an example at [1] that folks can run
using browsers.  Scalability comes from automatically generating and running
SQL from the executable English.  The results are still explained in
English.

                                        Cheers,  -- Adrian

[1]  Internet Business Logic
      A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English over
SQL and RDF
      Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering