Re: BioRDF Announcement

As the NLM guy on this forum, I probably need to clarify the
intellectual property restriction issues with the UMLS.

The Semantic Network is entirely owned by NLM and free of IP
restrictions. Conversion to OWL has been studied in the past by... Vipul
(yes, "our" Vipul).

Representing the UMLS® Semantic Network using OWL: (Or what's in a
Semantic Web link?)
KASHYAP Vipul and BORGIDA Alex
Proceedings of ISWC 2003, Lecture notes in computer science vol. 2870,
pp. 1-16

Kashyap V.
The UMLS Semantic Network and the Semantic Web.
AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2003:351-5.
PMID: 14728193

For various reasons, the OWLization of the Semantic Network is not
completely trivial.

Regarding the UMLS Metathesaurus, there are various kinds of
restrictions listed in the license agreement
(http://wwwcf.nlm.nih.gov/umlslicense/snomed/license.cfm), which is why
most UMLS-based services (e.g., Knowledge Source Server GUI and API,
MetaMap, etc.) require authentication. There have been discussions for a
while here at NLM about providing a subset of the UMLS that could be
freely distributed. Currently, such source vocabularies (with "source
restriction level = 0") can be easily extracted from the Metathesaurus
using MetamorphoSys. As you mention, SNOMED CT, while freely available
in the member countries of the IHTSDO, cannot be made publicly available.
I have plans to work on an RDF version of MeSH that could be made
publicly available. EricN has encouraged me to do it for quite some time
now, but I haven't still done it yet.

Even through SNOMED CT cannot be made available as a, say, RDF endpoint,
I think it is still useful to consider (non-dereferenceable) URIs based
on SNOMED CT concept identifiers for annotation purposes in Semantic Web
applications.

Olivier