Re: Minutes HCLSIG call June 26

M. Scott Marshall ha scritto:

> You will find the minutes for yesterday's call here:
> http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-hcls-minutes.html
Vipul's comment ("when suggesting a particular technology for a project,
one should explain the value of that particular tech to the user") is a
valid point... As for the option to extend the HCLS KB with
ontology-based data access, there are two demo papers (each just 4
pages, with pictures) that informally describe the benefits in their
respective introduction sections and they describe 3 scenarios [1][2].

The current implementation, as described in [1] [2], link an ontology to
a relational database (as opposed to in the ABox of the knowledge base),
with which you not only can to the usual things, such as type and
instance classification and satisfiability checking, but also epistemic
queries [3] and unions of conjunctive queries [4] through using the
ontology instead of doing that 'separately' with the database only, and,
at least with the experiments done to date, it scales up to having good
performance even with millions of tuples.

> The details of our next call in two weeks will be posted to the wiki:
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG

I'll try to participate, in case there are further questions, but cannot
guatantee yet as I'll be visiting Meraka Institute then.

[1] Mariano Rodriguez-Muro, Lina Lubyte, and Diego Calvanese. Realizing
Ontology Based Data Access: A plug-in for Protégé. In Proc. of the
Workshop on Information Integration Methods, Architectures, and Systems
(IIMAS 2008 ), 2008. Cancun, Mexico.
http://www.inf.unibz.it/%7ecalvanese/papers/rodr-luby-calv-IIMAS-2008.pdf
[2] Antonella Poggi, Mariano Rodriguez-Muro, and Marco Ruzzi.
Ontology-based database access with DIG-Mastro and the OBDA Plugin for
Protégé (Demo). In Proceeding of the Workshop OWLED 2008. Washington DC,
USA, 1-2 April 2008.
http://www.webont.org/owled/2008dc/papers/owled2008dc_paper_17.pdf
[3] For instance, you can ask not only whether DrMary treats any
patients, but also whether there is a known patient that DrMary treats.
[4] That is, conjunctive queries are focused on selecting data based on
just a conjunction of conditions, whereas a union of conjunctive queries
(UCQ) adds a disjunctive capability to the conjunctive queries (i.e,
adds a union operator to the SPC and SPJR algebras). For instance,
"where in the body are 'monocyte' or 'macrophage' located".

Best regards,
Marijke

C. Maria Keet
KRDB Research Centre