RE: 'Gene WIki' announced

Hi Kei,

Wikis are certainly gaining ground. If there are ways in which NCBO
can contribute ontology services to such projects, we would be very
happy to help. We can start simple by promoting the use of ontology
term URIs provided by BioPortal (see Mark's message from earlier today
[8/21]).

If multiple wiki projects started using ontology term URIs from NCBO,
it might go a long way to jump-starting the cross-linkage among
bio-wikis and other structured descriptions of bio-entities. We have
already spoken to wikiproffesional (knewco) and they are onboard with
the idea.

Regards,
Nigam.

proteopedia,
>3D electron images of neuron cells or 3D animation of neuron models
can
>be displayed via Wiki Neuron. 3D virtual world can help simulate a
>virtual organization or community where scientists (avatars) can
>interact with each other.
>
>I wonder if people are interested in such an idea of a collaborative
>project.
>
>Best,
>
>-Kei
>
>Steve Chervitz wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:14:36 -0700, Suzanna Lewis
>> <suzi@berkeleybop.org> wrote:
>>
>>> You might take a look at http://www.proteopedia.org/
>>>
>>> people can upload their own protein structures as well. its quite
>> nice i think.
>>
>> Cool. It's heartening to see such a resource, given my structural
>> roots (I spent lots of time in grad school analyzing this:
>> http://www.proteopedia.org/wiki/index.php/2lig ).
>>
>> If we are facing the rise of a constellation of
biomolecule-specific
>> wikis, as appears to be the case, it will be important to have easy
>> ways to link them together, to enable users (and tools) to traverse
>> from gene <=> protein <=> 3D structure <=> metabolite <=> SNP <=>
>> disease <=> etc. Perhaps this is where the SW will be most useful:
>> provide some guidelines for creating such resources so that
>> inter-domain wiki connections can be easily constructed, navigated,
>> and quality-controlled (removing the wiki-specific aspect to this,
it
>> starts sounding a lot like the charter of the HCLS).
>>
>> Seems like much of this comes down to naming. An easily
discoverable
>> repository of statements along the lines of "molecule-name A of
>> molecule-type B has a wiki page at molecule-url X" and
"molecule-name
>> A of molecule-type B has an associated molecule-type C" would be a
>> good start.
>>
>> The NeuroCommons naming project [1] looks great for doing something
>> like this, but the 'key' part of the URI would be an officially
>> recognized name of the gene, protein, chemical, etc. rather than a
>> repository-specific identifier, and there may be no 'database'
>> component in the molecule-type-name URIs, e.g.,
>> http://purl.org/molecule/type/key or perhaps it would be replaced
by
>> organism name (since things like gene symbols can be organism
>> specific), http://purl.org/molecule/type/organism/key . Has this
type
>> of usage been envisioned? Does it seem reasonable?
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> [1] http://neurocommons.org/page/Common_Naming_Project

>etc
In