Re: 'Gene WIki' announced

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:14:36 -0700, Suzanna Lewis <suzi@berkeleybop.org>
wrote:

> You might take a look at http://www.proteopedia.org/

> people can upload their own protein structures as well. its quite nice i
think.

Cool. It's heartening to see such a resource, given my structural roots (I
spent lots of time in grad school analyzing this:
http://www.proteopedia.org/wiki/index.php/2lig ).

If we are facing the rise of a constellation of biomolecule-specific wikis,
as appears to be the case, it will be important to have easy ways to link
them together, to enable users (and tools) to traverse from gene <=> protein
<=> 3D structure <=> metabolite <=> SNP <=> disease <=> etc. Perhaps this is
where the SW will be most useful: to provide some guidelines for creating
such resources so that inter-domain wiki connections can be easily
constructed, navigated, and quality-controlled (removing the wiki-specific
aspect to this, it starts sounding a lot like the charter of the HCLS).

Seems like much of this comes down to naming. An easily discoverable
repository of statements along the lines of "molecule-name A of
molecule-type B has a wiki page at molecule-url X" and ³molecule-name A of
molecule-type B has an associated molecule-type C²  would be a good start.

The NeuroCommons naming project [1] looks great for doing something like
this, but the 'key' part of the URI would be an officially recognized name
of the gene, protein, chemical, etc. rather than a repository-specific
identifier, and there may be no 'database' component in the
molecule-type-name URIs, e.g., http://purl.org/molecule/type/key or perhaps
it would be replaced by organism name (since things like gene symbols can be
organism specific), http://purl.org/molecule/type/organism/key . Has this
type of usage been envisioned? Does it seem reasonable?

Steve

[1] http://neurocommons.org/page/Common_Naming_Project

> On Aug 12, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Steve Chervitz wrote:
>

>> On  Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:15:11 -0500, Bryan Bishop
>> <kanzure@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Very interesting, especially considering the already existing protein
>>> database wiki. http://pdbwiki.org/index.php/Main_Page Clearly there are
>>> differences between a protein wiki and a gene wiki, but I'm pretty sure
>>> PDBWiki was not inquiried about this development. Hrm.
>>
>> Adding to this mix is a wiki for chemical compounds that is
>> constructed by merging Wikipedia content with PubChem data. There is
>> no Semantic Web in it, but it represents a neat approach that
>> creates a domain-specific window into Wikipedia content in an
>> automated fashion. It was created by Rich Apodaca described on his
>> blog here:
>>
>> http://depth-first.com/articles/2008/05/21/building-chempedia-social-networki

>> ng-applied-to-chemistry
>> http://depth-first.com/articles/2008/07/02/building-chempedia-learning-about-

>> contributors
>>
>> It inspired me to want to do something analogous for genes
>> (Wikipedia + Entrez Gene, perhaps), and I registered genepedia.org
>> for this purpose, but havenıt done anything with it yet. Seems like
>> there is a lot of interest in gene-oriented wikis out there. Anyone
>> interested in collaborating on such a project, let me know.
>>
>> Steve

This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual
and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. You are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or duplication of this transmission by
someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply to this
transmission and delete it from your computer.