Re: [Fwd: ISMB 2008 Call for Special Session Proposals + More ISCB Conference News]

Hello,

as I see it, ISMB is always being preferring Science, instead of Technology.
So, a session on the Semantic Web could be seen
as non adequate to the exceptionally high scientific level of the meeting.

My 1 cent.

Paolo

At 14:12 20/09/2007, Marco Roos wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I would like to show my support for the idea of
>my colleague Scott on the list. I've heard
>rumour that semantic web people have started
>doubting whether their own inventions,
>especially OWL, are catching on. In my view they
>have to be more patient. As far as I can see
>there are now more than enough front-runners in
>the life science community who are using
>semantic web technology in various ways (or at
>least trying too). It would be nice if that was
>made visible at a high-impact venue such as ISMB.
>
>Regards,
>Marco.
>
>M. Scott Marshall wrote:
>>FYI
>>
>>I suppose that it is a little too early for a special session at ISMB on
>>semantic modeling, semantic web.. Hmm.. Neural degenerative disorders?
>>
>>-scott

>>Subject:
>>ISMB 2008 Call for Special Session Proposals + More ISCB Conference News
>>From:
>>"Bj Morrison" <bj@sdsc.edu>
>>Date:
>>Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:16:21 -0700
>>To:
>>"ISCB Members and Colleagues" <members@iscb.org>
>>
>>To:
>>"ISCB Members and Colleagues" <members@iscb.org>
>>

>>*FIRST CALL FOR ISMB 2008 SPECIAL SESSION PROPOSALS*
>>
>>*/ISMB 2008 …/**/ /**/July 19-23, 2008 … Toronto, Canada/*
>>
>>*_www.iscb.org/call_ISMB2008specialsessions.shtml_*
>><http://www.iscb.org/call_ISMB2008specialsessions.shtml>
>>
>>*/SUBMISSION/**/ DEADLINE/**/: October 24 (11:59PM EDT)/*
>>
>>ISMB 2008 will bring back the highly popular
>>Special Sessions Track that was successfully
>>introduced at ISMB/ECCB 2007 in Vienna. Special
>>Sessions have the purpose of introducing the
>>ISMB community to relevant and “hot” scientific
>>topics that are typically not within the focus
>>of an ISMB meeting, and highlighting the impact
>>of computational biology and bioinformatics
>>within these emerging topics. See the full call
>>for proposals at the URL above, and start
>>putting your proposal together for introducing the next new topic at ISMB 2008.
>>
>>*_________________________*
>>
>>*CALL FOR ROCKY ’07** CALL FOR** ABSTRACTS…*
>>
>>*/5th Annual Rocky Mountain Bioinformatics Conference (Rocky '07) /*
>>
>>*/November 30 ­ December 2, 2007… Snowmass/Aspen, Colorado /*
>>
>>*_http://www.iscb.org/rocky07/presentation.htm_*
>>
>>*/SUBMISSION/**/ DEADLINE/**/:/**/ October 8, 2007/*
>>
>>Less than three weeks remain to submit
>>abstracts for the 5th Annual Rocky Mountain
>>Bioinformatics Conference (Rocky '07). This
>>meeting has a tradition of building bridges
>>among the diverse research and educational
>>communities working in the computational
>>biosciences. Attendees have come from as near
>>as Aspen itself, and as far as Ireland to the
>>East and Singapore to the West, bringing a
>>worldwide community together for science and
>>networking among the scenic Rocky Mountains.
> [...]

Paolo Romano (paolo.romano@istge.it)
Bioinformatics
National Cancer Research Institute (IST)
Largo Rosanna Benzi, 10, I-16132, Genova, Italy
Tel: +39-010-5737-288  Fax: +39-010-5737-295