Re: [BIONT-DSE] Inclusion versus exclusion criteria

Hi Alan,

Regarding negation of exclusion criteria, it is interesting that you
mention open versus closed world reasoning. We have found that
depending on the underlying clinical data being queried, we might
need to choose between open and closed world reasoning.

For example, in pharmacy data, if the patient record does not mention
a drug, we can be reasonably sure that the patient is not on that
drug -- a case for closed world reasoning, whereas for other datasets
such as lab or radiology, often things are explicitly asserted to be
negative if not present, for example, negative MRSA results, hence
requiring an open world reasoning approach.

We also found that implementing exclusion criteria as queries is
simply not a matter of OR-ed negations, atleast within the Semantic
Web framework. In description logics, generally the ABox queries are
negated and then added to the knowledge base to find the matching
individuals (by contradiction), so if our query itself is negated,
internally the reasoner will negate it again and hence we ll not find
any matching results. So the solution we used was to perform a set
difference between the patients matching the inclusion and exclusion
criteria.

my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Chintan