From: public-hcls-dse-request@w3.org [mailto:public-hcls-dse-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Andersson, Bo H
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 5:48 AM
To: Landen Bain; Rachel Richesson; public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org;
public-hcls-dse@w3.org
Cc: Stanley Huff; Yan Heras; Oniki, Tom (GE Healthcare, consultant); Joey Coyle;
Bron W. Kisler
Subject: RE: [BIONT-DSE] Clinical Observations Interoperability Telcon September
11th, Tuesday 11:00am - 12:00pm US EDT

Dear Rachel and Landen,

Following up from the Clinical Observations Interoperability Telcon two weeks
ago, I do think your presentations where very interesting. >From my perspective
working in early clinical development within AstraZeneca I do think Landen's
slide 10
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/OntologyTaskForce/BIONTDSEDCM?action=AttachFile&do
=get&target=W3C-BIONTDSEDCM-08-28-07.ppt>   (secondary use) point out where why
we all have a common interest to get the interoperability in place.

I like your proposal Rachel to use patient recruitment as use case for this
activity. Patient recruitment is a major challenge for us and I guess most
pharma companies. It fits well with the future desire to get a better "Real
Life" picture of our health care environment. With better information at hand we
would understand patient requirements, diseases, etc. much better. This
understanding are important for health care providers, pharma companies, health
organizations, disease registries, safety organizations etc.

Slide 10 represents in my mind this desire for a "Real Life" picture. To achieve
this objective data interoperability is only one challenge of many, however if
we in this activity can show how semantic web technologies have the potential to
solve the interoperability issue, we will create good conditions for this to
become a reality!

AstraZeneca participate in "Electronic Medical Record Task Force 2007 - EU
region", a joint effort by European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and
Associations (EFPIA) and EC. Within this task force the EHR are discussed in the
context of enhancing clinical research for better health and high quality
healthcare, i.e. well in line with slide 10.

In other words, I support Rachel's proposal and suggest we keep the bigger
picture presented by Landen in mind.

Regards,

Bosse

Bo Andersson
Senior Informatician
Discovery Medicine
AstraZeneca R&D Lund, S-221 87 Lund, Sweden
Tel: +46 46 33 76 21 Mobile: +46 709 13 16 21
Fax: +46 46 33 71 92
E-mail: bo.h.andersson@astrazeneca.com