Re: [semweb-lifesci]

  TG> I am surprised and sorry that anyone found the page [1] explaining why
  TG> we run our lists, and for that matter most of our infrastructure,
  TG> according to standards offensive. That was certainly not the intent of
  TG> the page, merely to give a thorough response to a request that has come
  TG> up a few times and also provide some pointers.  We are a standards body
  TG> and feel strongly about promoting and adhering to standards in addition
  TG> to creating them but we do not try to be condescending in doing so.

Let's be clear. This is NOT an standards issue. As far as I can tell both RFCs
mentioned tell you WHAT to do. This is good. They do not tell you what you
should not do; I see no mention of subject lines in either.

  TG> Also I thought it would be helpful to start a Wiki [2] on configuring
  TG> filtering for various mail clients, as most are capable of filtering on
  TG> List-Id and other headers.

And here is the problem. You assume that you know how I or others use subject
line tags. Actually, I don't filter on them at all; I use "to" or "cc"
addresses, as this captures emails cc'd to me personally, which your List-Id
technique fails for.

I use them because I filter several mailing lists into one folder and like the
visual cue this gives. I identify semweb-lifesci mails by the lack of a tag,
which works because it's the only list in that folder that doesn't. So, you
see, on this basis ALL of the points on your subject-tagging page are, well,
either irrelevant or wrong.

If you are going to provide a service, then listen to your users. If you are
not going to listen to your users, then don't provide a service. There are
others who can do it better.

Sorry for sounding so irritable on this; it's a bad time of year for
me. Normally, I'd take this with more of a sense of humour, or a slightly
raised eyebrow.

Cheers

Phil