RE: [Obo-relations] Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web (Not clear about definition of <is_location_of_process>)

At 01:52 PM 5/31/2007, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

>Barry,
>
>Thanks for your e-mail. It was a hastily constructed definition and you have
>raised some interesting questions.
>
>1. Does the presence of all participants of a process at a location enough to
>define the presence of a process at a location?

Sounds reasonable to me.

>2. I do not claim to understand the OBO definition of a biological
>process, but
>from a computer science point of view, a process running on a
>computer can have
>states, e.g., activated, terminated, suspended, waiting-for-event, etc. These
>states may correlate to some aggregation of states of participants in the
>process. But I am not sure of the reason why a process cannot have a state?

It is (it seems to me) the program or algorithm or plan (all
continuants) which is activated.
If a process is suspended or terminated, then surely the process is
not there any more.
And processes do not wait; people (for example) wait.

This terminology of 'states' is not, it seems to me, ontologically clear.
With greetings
Barry