Re: Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 23:18:34 -0400
Cc: Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
To: samwald@gmx.at

On May 18, 2007, at 1:03 PM, samwald@gmx.at wrote:

> The specific difficulties with the location of objects and
> processes are to some degree inherent in the current OWL versions
> of BFO and the Relation Ontology. They make it a bit difficult to
> create statements that relate processes to certain locations and
> force you to make statements about the participants of the process
> instead.

Could you elaborate on this? My understanding is that according to
BFO, pretty much everything about a process is determined by the
participants (the process is existentially dependent on the
participants). Although I recently noticed what I consider an oddity
in the Relations in Biomedical Ontologies paper : c exists_at t =
[definition] for some p, p has_participant c at t, which would seem
to make the process primary.(I'm not actually sure why this predicate
is needed if we already have instance_of)

-Alan