Re: Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web

From: <samwald@gmx.at>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:19:52 +0200
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>

> That will get you so far, but you have to be VERY
> careful. Will other uses of these relations
> retain these very refined meanings this
> precisely?

I guess that can be said about ANY conceivable approach. People that do not care can make mistakes, whatever approach we choose.

> Suppose
> someone wants to say that an assertion made by C
> is wrong because it mis-uses a name to refer to
> the wrong entity.

I don't think that the large majority of biomedical projects will require us to make such statements. As I said, it is clear that we can think of scenarios where we need RDF reification or something similar -- however, most of these scenarios will not be encountered by the large majority of projects. Time will tell.

> One cannot get a
> satisfactory logic of propositional attitudes
> (such as belief) by burying them into 'opaque
> relations' and using a conventional assertional
> logic.

I guess we have different standards about what is satisfactory in this context and what is not. In my view, a basic ontology similar to the already existing SWAN ontology [1] would be sufficient for all practical needs. There is no need to come up with an intricate logic of propositional attitudes to implement something like this.

> RDF, yes: OWL no. The problem arises from
> equality substitution, and owl:sameAs is equality.

I'm afraid I do not understand what you are referring to.

cheers,
Matthias Samwald

[1] http://www2007.org/workshops/paper_145.pdf

Yale Center for Medical Informatics, New Haven /
Section on Medical Expert and Knowledge-Based Systems, Vienna /
http://neuroscientific.net

.