AW: [hcls] The Bibliographic Ontology Specification Group

From: <samwald@gmx.at>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:13:55 +0200
To: "Tanja Sieber, Advanced Content Engineering" <tanja.sieber@advan-ce.de>, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

> why not take the MARC21 (or in XMLvariant MARCXML)-standard as a base. I
> know that right now in Germany all bibliographic data exchange has to move
> over using this standard.

Hi Tanja,

There is, in fact, a project that deals with creating a Semantic Web ontology based on the MARC metadata standard:

http://www.marcont.org/

However, there are reservations against using something that is too similar to Bibtex or MARC, because it is perceived as a rather 'flat' and unstructured representation. This is discussed in the comments here:

http://fgiasson.com/blog/index.php/2007/04/15/the-bibliographic-ontology/

I am also not sure how much community acceptance Marcont has. I need to take a closer look at that project.

cheers,
Matthias Samwald