Suggestion for the HCLSIG Demo: Ontowiki

From: <samwald@gmx.at>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:13:43 +0100
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

We still need to decide which applications we should use to make the HCLSIG demo accessible through the web. Having a nice and intuitive user interface to present our developments should have a high priority, as many people tend to judge new technologies by such (maybe superficial) criteria.

I think a software called OntoWiki is one of the most promising developments for web-based visualisation and editing of RDF/OWL. It is a mixture of an ontology editor and a Wiki. OntoWiki is strictly based on ontologies, which makes it different from other semantic Wikis like 'Semantic MediaWiki', which use RDF as an shallow annotation for normal wiki pages.

Here is a publication describing OntoWiki:
http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~auer/publication/ontowiki.pdf

I also have made some screenshots for you:
http://neuroscientific.net/res/ontowiki-screenshots/
(most of the data shown comes from the Reactome dataset of Influenza in bio-zen format)

Possible drawback: since OntoWiki is based on RAP (an RDF API for PHP and SQL databases), it cannot be used to host large RDF/OWL models (hosting more than 5 MB of RDF/OWL is not possible, I would estimate). However, we could still try to represent some selected parts of the demo datasets in OntoWiki.

cheers,
Matthias Samwald

.