From: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org on behalf of Matthias Samwald
Sent: Mon 1/29/2007 12:32 PM
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Subject: Re: Unique ID options

> Well, I'm inclined to ask why URI's should be explicitely assigned?

We had a discussion about blank nodes on a teleconference some months ago:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Meetings/2006-09-11_Conference_Call

bNodes don't serve as a replacement for URIs for cases where you cannot decide on assigning a URI. They behave somewhat different than one might think, e.g. in a SPARQL query.
Another obvious reason for assigning URIs instead of bNodes is that URIs are essential for making connections between distributed datasets, which is one of the main arguments for using Semantic Web standards. Even if you are sure that your ressource is of no interest for anyone besides yourself at the time you are creating it, this might still change later on.

-- Matthias