Re: Comments on the tension between bottom-up KR and use of top down ontologies

I am an ardent and reverent disciple of the position Jim outlines
below.	:-)

This is the point I was trying to make in my response to an issue
brought up a few days back re: the relation between the BioRDF data
sets being identified/converted and their relation to the BioONT's
efforts identifying what I was referring to as distilled knowledge
resources (DKR) - a neologism designed to shed some of the baggage
artifacts such as terminologies, taxonomies, classification schemes,
thesauri, and ontologies bring with them - though I'm probably just
making matters worse by adding another term to the bag.

I like to think we are converging on systems of ever increasing,
emergent "intelligence" as we work to combine these approaches -
which would include in the cornucopia of research domains:
	- statistically-based data mining techniques (customized for
different types of data such as sequence analysis, gene expression
analysis, computer vision algorithms applied to automatically
extracting biologically relevant shapes from bioimaging data sets,
Bayesian analysis applied to time-series physiological data, etc.)
	- modeling techniques - pathway modeling, physiological modeling
from molecules on up through systems, morpho-anatomical modeling, etc.
	- Text-based KE/KR/KM - e.g., NLP, LSI, enhanced IR of all sorts, etc.
	- the related field of computational linguistics and lexical
analysis informing the creation of CVs, taxonomies, classification
schemes, and thesauri
	- logic formalisms - DL, Rule-based, etc. - used both for bottom-up
& top-down KE/KR/KM

I've been taking this line, since the time when I was head of product
development for the Biological Abstracts (BIOSIS) in the mid-90s and
further in ontological engineering work I did in the late 90s with
the bioinformatics company DoubleTwist.

This is the editorializing I was avoiding in my initial forwarded
post.  ;-)

Cheers,
Bill

On Jan 20, 2007, at 8:11 PM, Jim Hendler wrote:

> [...]
> me point out that the mail below seems to think that the "OR"
> between top-down and bottom-up is an "XOR" - i.e. one of the
> other.  The vision I've been pushing for a long time is one where
> they both flourish, and even more importantly they link together
> into a Web of Semantic Definitions.   My very first briefs when the
> DAML language was being created included the idea that a key aspect
> of a "distributed ontological representation" was that it could
> combine top-down and bottom-up approaches - here's the words from a
> slide from 2000 - you can see I've been saying this for a long time
> now...
>  -Jim H.
> p.s. For US readers, this is one of the arguments that helped
> convince the govt to spend a chunk of your tax dollars on creating
> an ontology language :-)
>
> (from DARPA presentation - ca. 2000 - apologies for formatting,
> copiy/pasted from a slide in ppt format)
>
> Small communities define common semantics
> Technical Vocabularies abound
> Mission specific
> Technical jargons
> Shared values
> Larger communities form around shared terms
> Mapping and "articulation" become crucial
> Interoperability at web languages level
> Top-Down (organization defines critical aircraft properties)
>          or bottom up (Oh, a "foxbat" is a Mig29)
> Business case for improving communication!
>

> At 11:14 AM -0500 1/20/07, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:
> Bill,
>
> I am glad you brought this up! This could make a good topic for a
> future BIONT/HCLSIG Telcon Agenda.
>
> I do have another version of the Top-Down/Bottom-Up "tension" which
> brings up the same issue in a different context.
>
> Top-Down: Use Cases => Ontologies => Mappings to Data => RDFize
> Data Sets
> Bottom-Up: RDFize Data Sets => Ground RDF Graphs in Ontologies/
> Terminologies => See applicability to Use Cases.
>
> Wherea, I do have a preference for one of the above, I do recognize
> the validity and appropriateness of the second
> approach in various scenarios.
>
> Am glad that we are having this debate as a community and if we
> leverage the discussions and thoughts proposed
> around this, I think we would have made a contribution to the field.
>
> Look forward to hearing from fellow HCLSIG-ers on this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> ---Vipul
>
> =======================================
> Vipul Kashyap, Ph.D.
> Senior Medical Informatician
> Clinical Informatics R&D, Partners HealthCare System
> Phone: (781)416-9254
> Cell: (617)943-7120
> <http://www.partners.org/cird/AboutUs.asp?
> cBox=Staff&stAb=vik>http://www.partners.org/cird/AboutUs.asp?
> cBox=Staff&stAb=vik
>
> To keep up you need the right answers; to get ahead you need the
> right questions
> ---John Browning and Spencer Reiss, Wired 6.04.95

Bill Bug