Re: Versioning vs Temporal modeling of Patient State

From: Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@bio.ri.ccf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:48:11 -0500 (EST)
To: "Kashyap, Vipul" <VKASHYAP1@partners.org>
cc: Nigam Haresh Shah <nigam@stanford.edu>, Trish Whetzel <whetzel@pcbi.upenn.edu>, kc28 <kei.cheung@yale.edu>, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, w3c semweb hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:
> Nigam,
>
> This is an interesting example...
>
>> Have an example for this one: If the instance is of a the class "Tumor"
>> then
>> on giving treatment it changes in size, shape etc, and might ultimately
>> disappear. On each visit we are observing a different version of the tumor
>> instance [in Tom].
>
> [VK] Clearly there is a longitudinal aspect to this as the state of the tumor
> changes over time....

  .. snip ..

> IMHO, the former representation conveys more information and meaning...
> So, it may make sense not to confound versioning with temporal progression...

Spot on. I myself have had a hard time trying to grapple with the notion
of allowing 'content' revision control to trickle into formal knoweldge
representation and have yet to come across a scenario that demonstrates
where this makes any sense.

If a class has a particular 'definition' (i.e., the criteria for
membership of its instances) at a particular time and that definition
'changes' then we are talking about a different class
altogether not a 'version' of the same class - the extension of both
classes are no longer the same.  Unless the definition change is
annotative only and doesn't really have any 'logical' consequences.  In
which case a SKOS, time-stamped annotation for a human reader is
sufficient and what we really have in mind.

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Foundation