Re: Inspiration for the WWW HCLSIG demo

It's a brilliant demo, but I would caution on a couple of items from the
long-term mega-disciplinary perspective on knowledge systems.

It's fine for a relatively small percentage of passionate folks largely from
government, academia, and a few giant vendors to contribute time and energy
as it nearly perfectly aligns with their org's mission, so no conflict
exists. Not so for the majority to include many brilliant people worldwide
(my guess would be clear majority).

So functionality is fine to demonstrate, but the key to adoption in sharing
knowledge and collaborating eventually also means providing a sustainable
economic ecosystem. Call it severe lessons learned from an applied lab in k
systems during web 1.0. The reason we took a holistic approach long ago in
Kyield is because we found in testing more than a decade ago that each
component, or ingredient in the recipe, was indeed essential without which
the entire meal fails. Relying on Karma hasn't proven to be terribly wise in
terms of sharing knowledge on the Internet.

At the time the technical standards and middleware did not provide even the
possibility of solving the problems we faced- now at least it's possible. So
fine to rethink copyrights etc.- IP does need reform, but suggest we do so
from the perspective of not only not being paid to share knowledge, but
paying for the pleasure when other needs are not being met, which is a much
more realistic lens to view these issues relative to mass adoption over the
longer term.

.02- MM