Re: [BioRDF] URI Resolution

Eric Neumann wrote:
> Since much of what is being discussed here is about a "practical time to turn-around" for resolution, this is a quantitative criterion that can be measured.
>
> Why not set up a small demonstration for handling some class of URI's (e.g., list of genes), that have getMethods, and try accessing these as URIs from another client or server? I see even getting by with a demo that does not even use a full-fledged inference system-- simply "look for" PATTERN: /http://foo.com/(.*)/ and re-direct or reply with getMethods...

This is one of my points. Technically, the discussed problem is a simple
string substitution, why making it so complicated using an RDF engine
with a lot altered semantics plus heuristic approach.  If the goal is to
minimize, but not eliminate, 404, why not create a simple registry of
"moved URI"s.  Hence, once an RDF engine encounters a new URI, try to
dereference it natively. If failed, then check with registry.  If found
an entry, follow the new link, else, bad luck.  The implementation would
be easy and fast since it is just a simple table lookup.

I am not proposing that we actually implement this (I think the persist
issue is mostly a social issue, so best practice is the best cure), I am
just trying to illustrate the point that there can be simpler solution
to achieve the same result. Then why make it so complicated?  We
shouldn't propose a SW solution to any problem, just because we are SW
interest group.

Cheers,

Xiaoshu