Re: HCLS Demo at ISMB/ECCB

Dear All,

Unfortunately, I couldn't attend (being at the topically related AAAI
Semantic e-Science workshop), but it's good to read the summary and that
interest in bio & SW seems to be expanding (be it linear or
exponentially) -- and well ahead compared to the enterprise domain.

> As for the demo, I have a few ideas of making the query interface more
> user-friendly to non-SQL folks-- let's discuss over the next few days.

on query interfaces and knowing that biologists like figures, may I
suggest the notion of "Query by diagram" [1] (The material is a bit
outdated, but the basic idea still sound), or the similar idea of
ConQuer [2] (an abbreviation for conceptual queries), both are
database-focussed. For probably as recent as you can get and SW-centred:
the OntoVQL [3] (presented at the DL07 workshop) for a graphical query
language for OWL ontologies.
I can dish up some references to works that go about querying by (near)
natural language, in case people are interested.

[1] http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=191976&coll=portal&dl=ACM and
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=153873&dl=ACM&coll=portal&CFID=15151515&CFTOKEN=6184618
[2] Bloesch, A.C., Halpin, T.A. (1996). ConQuer: a conceptual query
language. \emph{Proceedings of ER'96: 15th International Conference
onconceptual modeling}. Springer LNCS 1157. 1996. pp121-133.  and
Bloesch, A.C., Halpin, T.A. (1997). Conceptual Queries using
ConQuer-II.  \emph{Proceedings of ER'97: 16th International Conference
on Conceptual Modeling}. Springer LNCS 1331. 1997. pp113-126.
[3]
http://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-250/paper_85.pdf

cheers,
marijke