Re: LSID lookup details: help?

On 31 July 2006, Dan Connolly wrote:

> In today's call, I learned a bit about how LSID lookup
> works:
>
>  (1) try to find an SRV record using the domain in the LSID
>  (2) fall back to a DDDS lookup and NAPTR and such
>
> Option (2) depends on some NAPTR stuff in the "arpa" parts
> of DNS space that OMG is expected to install but hasn't
> gotten around to, largely for lack of urgent need, I gather.

Indeed I've spent a fair amount of time exploring the foundations of
DDDS for use in URN resolution, as proposed for LSID, which are
supposed to be located in NAPTR records for subdomains of urn.arpa.
As far as I can tell after extensive search, there are _no_ such
subdomains behaving as advertised. Indeed the _only_ active use of
DDDS/NAPTR I can find is e164.arpa, the root authority for the ENUM
story about DNS-resolvable telephone numbers.

There is only one URN namespace registered as mandated by DDDS, namely
PIN [1], but following the DDDS algorithm for it runs into the sand:

  > dig pin.urn.arpa naptr
   . . .

   ;; ANSWER SECTION:
pin.urn.arpa.   21600   IN   NAPTR   100 100 "" "" "" pin.verisignlabs.com.

  > dig pin.verisignlabs.com naptr
   . . .
   status: SERVFAIL

  > dig @ns1.verisignlabs.com pin.verisignlabs.com naptr
   . . .
   status: NOERROR, . . . ANSWER: 0

So Verisign appears to have abandoned PINs -- if anyone knows of _any_
working subdomains of urn.arpa, please let us know!

This is all about (2) in your original list above.  Could someone
point to the basis in the LSID spec [2] for your (1) -- I can't spot
it. . .

Thanks,

ht

[1] http://www.iana.org/list-archives/register-urn/msg00008.html