Re: Modeling large scale ontologies in OWL: Unmet needs

Matthias,

Matthias Samwald wrote:
> Yes, qualified cardinality restrictions would really be very useful!
>
> I had a look at the documentation of the OWL 1.1 proposal, and I have to say that the "1.1" is a bit misleading, since it will not be a W3C standard. I guess that this is an attempt to push the W3C and software developers to adopt the proposal, but it could also lead to puzzling conflicts in versioning (as has been the case with RSS [1], for instance).

as a mathematician by training let me change your sentence from

"will not be a W3C standard"

"will not *yet* be a W3C standard"

:-)

True, the current OWL 1.1 work is happening on a forum  that is formally
independent from W3C, but that had only administrative reasons at the
time. It is not yet decided how the work would then continue, whether
the authors would, eventually, submit that to W3C for a further
standardization, etc. All that is still in the open. But OWL 1.1 is very
much on the radar screen...

Feedbacks like David's (who originally started this thread) are very
important. Thank you for it.

Ivan