Re: BioRDF: URI Best Practices

On 24 Jul 2006, at 13:16, samwald@gmx.at wrote:
>> I too would be interested in understanding why people in the life
>> sciences don't use URLs, because I think the advantage of using
>> them is absolutely huge. Being able to "GET my meaning" [1] makes
>> the Semantic web so easy to explain, so simple to read, so
>> beautiful all in all that one really needs to have an amazing
>> reason not to go that way.
>
> What we need is a simple tool (preferably based on server-side PHP
> scripts) that we can use to 'publish' our ontologies automatically
> in the way you describe. Are there any?
> RAP [1] already has some of the functionality I am thinking of [2],
> but we would also need a tool that helps us generating the
> descriptive HTML for each resource. All of that should be possible
> through a simple, one-click 'upload & publish' function in the tool.

I don't describe a way to publish an ontology. Just a way to get the
meaning of the terms in a document. When terms in a document are
URLs, then one can GET each one and find their meaning. The beauty is
that this makes the names self describing.

In the case of AtomOwl we use subversion to publish the ontology.

https://sommer.dev.java.net/atom/

Currently we are having problems as dev.java.net does not correctly
interpret the .htaccess file I placed here
https://sommer.dev.java.net/atom/2006-06-06/.htaccess
for the content negotiation to work.

This is why I had to move the ontology to another server.
What you use to publish your ontology and keep track of changes is
quite up to you, as long as when I find a term I don't understand I
can just GET it.

Henry