Re: BioRDF: URI Best Practices

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> Nice idea. I've added a similar proposal to the same wiki page[1].
>
> Basically, I would  argue that there are three aspects to dereferencing, with
> the problem being that there is no one thing that you always want
> dereferencing to get you.
>
> 1. The kind of information you want to get by dereferencing - You might want
> the primary data if it is an information resource. You might want metadata of
> various kinds in all cases (definition, policy, history, picture-of).  303
> notwithstanding, I'd rather know that I am dealing with a non-information
> resource *before* I touch the network.
> 2. The representation type - I think this is handled by mime types
> 3. The transport - http etc.
>
> So my proposal suggests a class that defines ways of transforming the URI you
> find in a SW document into URLs that get specific types of information. The
> fact that a transform to URL is provided means you get the transport (because
> it is part of the transformed URL). Different properties of the class let you
> retrieve different patterns for different sorts of information (1.). The
> representation 2., is not explicitly represented, it should instead be part
> of the definitions of the properties. We typically want to know *before* we
> dereference, what we would get back.
>
> I would further argue that as much as possible about this should be
> represented explicitly in your ontology, as Matthias has suggested.

As Xiaoshu pointed out, content negotiation (specific accept headers
dispatched to a URL) give you *most* of this functionality purely at the
transport level - assuming there are appropriate mime types for the
representation you have in mind for a URL.

So, it would seem more useful for such a class to identify 1) whether a
URI is a resolvable resource and 2) the mime-types it is 'registered' to
respond to - perhaps with some human-readable annotation documenting exactly what
is expected from a particular mime-type.  Where there is only one
associated representation for a URL, it is sufficient to simply identify
the URI as a resolvable identifier and for a client to do a GET without
any accept headers (since the lack of any registered mime-types indicates
that the URL only has one representation modality)

I like the idea of guiding the dereferencing process in
a formal way, but I think content negotiation is the better 'hook' for
retrieving various representations of the same URL.

I'll update the Wiki accordingly

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery