Re: XML vs. RDF

Thanks, Glen.

These refereed publications are extremely helpful.

As most on this list probably know, this debate has raged for
sometime over the past 5+ years.

If you want to cast a wider net, try "XML vs RDF" in Google.  I'm not
suggesting this is the best way of thinking about the issue of when &
how RDF provides significant value.  I think John's example does this
well.  There are other examples, such as paper from Nat. Biotech.
last September by Xiaoshu's and his colleagues.  The resulting Google
hits are way beyond a HCLS scope, but many of the examples given can
be mapped into the life science domain.

Cheers,
Bill

On Jul 17, 2006, at 10:59 AM, Glen Newton - NRC/CNRC CISTI/ICIST
Research wrote:

> Some articles from researchers who appear to not like RDF and the
> direction the Semantic Web is headed (for balance):
>
> "The Pragmatic Web: A Manifesto"
> Mareike Schoop,Aldo de Moor, Jan L.G. Dietz
> http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1125944.1125979
> Communications of the ACM  archive
> 2006, Volume 49 ,  Issue 5  (May 2006) Pages: 75 - 76
>
> Rethinking the semantic Web. Part I
> McCool, R.
> Internet Computing, IEEE Nov.-Dec. 2005
> Volume: 9,  Issue: 6, p. 86- 87
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?
> isnumber=32927&arnumber=1541954&count=11&index=10
>
> Rethinking the semantic Web. Part 2
> McCooI, R.
> Internet Computing, IEEE Jan.-Feb. 2006
> Volume: 10,  Issue: 1, 93- 96
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?
> isnumber=33376&arnumber=1580420&count=18&index=16
>
> -Glen Newton
>
> --
>
> Glen Newton | glen.newton@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
> Group Leader (Acting), CISTI Research
> Chef de groupe (par intérim), Recherche de l'ICIST
> tel/tél: 613-990-9163 | facsimile/télécopieur 613-952-8246
> Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (CISTI)
> National Research Council Canada (NRC)| M-55, 1200 Montreal Road
> http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/
> Institut canadien de l'information scientifique et technique (ICIST)
> Conseil national de recherches Canada | M-55, 1200 chemin Montréal
> Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0R6
> Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada
> --

Bill Bug
Senior Analyst/Ontological Engineer

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential.
This information is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us
immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete
all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.