RE: LSIDs and ontology segmentation

Hi All,

> I would think that an author of an ontology of this size
> would want to consider fragmenting the ontology (perhaps by
> sub-domains) and linking them with owl:imports.  In such a
> scenario, the
> terms could simply be identifiers asserted within each
> ontology fragment
> and only the ontology fragments would need URLs for dynamic
> resolution.

My impression of the GO ontology (the example given) is that it can definitely be divided into three partitions, Molecular Function, Biological Process and Cellular Component, but beyond that, any partioning would be entirely arbitrary.  It and the Taxon ontology are essentially a DAG and a simple Tree respectively, so the only things of interest for the huge majority of current use cases is traversing these paths, which can be easily done by incremental fetches given a starting term from a gene without reading in the entire ontologies.

The other point I would want to make is that many times one doesn't want to do any reasoning, the search is simply for objects that have been annotated with individuals that are a subclass of a class in some ontology and to display the definitions from the ontology to the users. It is also of interest to go out and ask for a particular object one is interested in, what objects out there in the wide world that are also annotated with individuals for the same classes.

So if I have an ExperimentDesign annotated with the MGED Ontology individual cellular_modification_design of the class ExperimentDesignType, I might like to find similar ExperimentDesigns.  How far I would want a tool to go in traversing what is similar is a function of time and resources, I might want a tool that did exact matches, a tool that searched for linked terms in other ontologies and objects associated with those terms, a tool that understood that a linked term in another ontology lead through a relationship in that ontology to other terms and so on but in the end I am only interested in like ExperimentDesigns not in the ontologies themselves.

This use case, which is what is happening ad hoc now, is what I would love to see the semantic web support initially.  I don't think the life sciences need complex reasoning enabled as of yet because it doesn't even have the simple cases hooked to the semantic web yet.

cheers,
Michael

Michael Miller
Lead Software Developer