RE: ontology specs for self-publishing experiment

Hi All,

> Yes, but put another way, you have refactored the problem of
> "incommensurateness" into two more tractable pieces - one about the
> data structures to convey meaning, the other about the meanings
> conveyed.  You have also removed the risk of conflating the two ...

Thanks, Alan, this conveys much better what I was trying to say.

What I would add is that "the data structures to convey meaning" are
mostly those objects that are unique to an investigation.  These
instances would likely, in themselves, not have much worth in the
translation to RDF and analysis by semantic web tools.

But their annotations, on the other hand, would.  If I understand what
Marco is up to at the EBI (and I'm likely getting the terminology
wrong), is for a particular gene expression experiment deposited in
ArrayExpress, forming triples based on the MAGE class to the ontology
annotations and going from there.

On another related thread from Phil,

"My point is that XSLT is not
good for operating on RDF because there are many syntactic ways of
representing the same thing. In general, I wouldn't use XSLT at all as
I hate it, but that's a different issue."

In general, we've found that importing the contents of the MAGEv1
documents to our application and then operating on the contents within
the application to be much preferable to dealing with the XML directly.

The good news for the semantic web effort is that there are many
applications that are making active use of the GO ontology, currently in
an ad hoc manner for the most part.  In terms of an import from a MAGE
document, one can find the genes of interest and based on their
identifiers get their associated GO terms (which did not have to be in
the MAGE document itself, only its GENBANK or similar identifier). Then
one can take a GO annotated version of BioPathways and take
these Genes of interest and map onto the pathways via the GO terms and
so on.

And, if one looks at the experiments at ArrayExpress, there is a lot of
annotation for the BioMaterials and for the Experiments that isn't being
exploited yet but could easily to look for interesting matches today
between ArrayExpress, GEO, NCI and other repositories.

cheers,
Michael