Re: [HCLSIG] homologs for yeast proteins?

On Jan 31, 2006, at 5:05 PM, chris mungall wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2006, at 1:46 PM, Eric Miller wrote:

>>> There are S. cerevisiae proteins assigned to GO:0031930 though,
>>> you can see them here: <http://tinyurl.com/d2dm9>
>>
>> I started writing a piggy bank [1] scraper using solvent [2] to
>> make explicit the data thats implied in the HTML tables when I
>> noticed the XML link [3] at the bottom of the page.
>
> surely screen scraping should be a last resort, such as when the
> underlying database has no APIs or download option

Agreed!

> all the data underlying amigo is available in a number of hopefully
> more sensible ways. See http://www.godatabase.org/dev

Good to know. Do you think people just "know" the fact that the
underlying amigo is available? The link is helpful at the bottom of
the page, but a *consistent* convention this community could adopt to
clearly associate the data corresponding to the HTML page would be
extremely valuable.

More specifically, I'd suggest for this page, the following template
be used

<link rel="meta" type="application/rdf+xml" title="Data for GO:
0031930" href="http://www.godatabase.org/cgi-bin/amigo/
go.cgiformat=xml&view=details&search_constraint=terms&depth=0&session_id
=412b1138742957&query=GO:0031930" />

and help define such a consistent linking mechanism.

Note: This pattern is not to preclude the useful, continued
development folks like the GO Consortium are providing via APIs and/
or download option, but rather provide an additional, consistent
mechanism for associating the "raw" data with a corresponding page.

>> Turns out this "XML" link points to what looks like RDF/XML (but
>> not quite). Anyone know who to contact to get this corrected?
>> Bonus points if you're willing to own this action item and be the
>> person to make the contact :)
>>
>> [1] http://simile.mit.edu/piggy-bank/
>> [2] http://simile.mit.edu/solvent/
>> [3] http://www.godatabase.org/cgi-bin/amigo/go.cgi?
>> format=xml&view=details&search_constraint=terms&depth=0&session_id=41
>> 2b1138742957&query=GO:0031930
>
> I'll take care of this, on the TODO list anyway
>
> We'll also be adding an OWL option too sometime

Excellent! Thanks!

semantic web activity lead               http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
w3c world wide web consortium            http://www.w3.org/