Re: HL7 and patient records in RDF/OWL?

Joanne & Dan,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and interest. I feel stupid
that my automatic email rules engine misfiled both your responses and
I just noticed them today!
Anyway, the tie-in to HL7 is  slightly secondary until I get the
SNOMED part under control.
But I agree with you, Dan, that figuring out how to semantically
interoperate with HL7 RIM classes in the context of constrained use
cases would be a big payoff.
A funny thing about the HL7 RIM is that the abstract RIM model is
done in a dialect of UML, and thus the progenitor Act class is a full-
fledged object. But HL7's current development methodology, for
historical reasons, assumes that the implementation language is XML
schema (this has to do with the legacy HL7 messaging model), so much
of the three-dimensional object quality of the Act class (and other
RIM classes) gets "flattened" in the course of implementation.
I think Act is a good class and is well done in the abstract HL7-RIM
model, but it would be much more useful in the semantic web context
if it were implemented as a Java class, or a web service class,
instead of as a schema fragment. You could actually imagine some
clever interoperation with an NLP service over the web if this were
the  case.

John