RE: Fwd: Nature: A call for a public gene Wiki

Hi,
I agree, a wiki would be great way for sharing
knowledge as it would allow experts of a protein, of a
gene to freely add, modify and share annotations. But
I fear it could also be a problem for knowledge
discovery  because a wiki is not a "semantic web"
source of information. Just see the "problem" existing
with the abstracts of pubmed: there are many papers[1]
about softwares trying to extract and digest the
knowledge contained in the abstracts. I feel something
like a WIKI but based on semantic web / RDF would be
better. In a perfect world, publishers should provide
a RDF version of the abstract describing the content
of the article. However, some publishers already try
to add RDF in the electronic version of the papers: I
remember a message on this list from Dr Cockerill
(BioMed Central) who suggested to look at the source
of http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/6/140 (an
information about the licence is embedded in the HTML,
but you may think about  other data...).

Pierre Lindenbaum PhD.

[1] a recent review: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nrg1768

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v439/n7076/full/439534a.html