Re: [BIONT] Teleconference minutes available

I apologize for not being able to attend today.  I got tied up on
other tasks.

Once quick note re: the minutes - I've been working closely with
Daniel Rubin to integrate the neuroanatomical branches of our BIRN
ontology (BIRNLex) with RadLex.  Daniel - in addition to his other
hats - is on the RadLex working group.  He's one of the prime people
working to put what they have done - up until recently available only
in Word files - into RadLex.  Daniel is also an "honorary" member of
the BIRN Ontology Task Force and participates on our TCons.

Neuroanatomical ontology efforts have essentially been orbiting about
some combination of NeuroNames & FMA.  Neither alone is adequate to
provide fine-grained, formal semantic representation of neuroanatomy,
but together they are very powerful. Christine Goldbriech has done
very interesting work built off of FMA (see her presentations from
OWL ED 2005 - http://www.mindswap.org/2005/OWLWorkshop/
accepted.shtml), and there had been a direct collaboration between
the FMA folks and the NeuroNames curators, both of whom are
associated with U.Washington, Seattle.  That collaboration is not
currently active, but much of what we are doing on BIRN essentially
picks up where they left off, with a more exclusive focus on the
brain regions we must immediately capture given the particular human
neurodegenerative diseases and mouse disease models we are covering
in BIRN.

The enhanced neuroanatomical ontology I provided to Vipul on Friday/
Saturday is all coming directly out of BIRNLex.

By the way, Art Toga is also the PI of the Mouse BIRN testbed within
the BIRN project, which is the group my lab works with directly.  We
are very actively working with the UCLA LONI group of which he is PI.

Cheers,
Bill

On Dec 19, 2006, at 12:07 PM, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

> The teleconference minutes are available at: http://www.w3.org/
> 2006/12/19-hcls-irc
>

> The next BIONT Teleconference will be on 9th Jan
>

> Phone
>
> +1 617 761 6200, conference 24668 ("BIONT")
>
> IRC
>
> irc://irc.w3.org:6665/hcls
>
> Browser-based IRC client
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc
>

> Date and Time: 9th  January 2007, 11:00am – 12:00pm, US Eastern
>

> Agenda:
>

> 1.  Don will present his attempts at deepening the biology related
> to the Dementia Clinical Feature
>
> 2.  Discussion on data sources for Parkinson’s and Alzheimers
>

> The web page for the use case is: http://esw.w3.org/topic/
> ParkinsonsDisease
>

> =======================================
>
> Vipul Kashyap, Ph.D.
>
> Senior Medical Informatician
>
> Clinical Informatics R&D, Partners HealthCare System
>
> Phone: (781)416-9254
>
> Cell: (617)943-7120
>
> http://www.partners.org/cird/AboutUs.asp?cBox=Staff&stAb=vik
>

> To keep up you need the right answers; to get ahead you need the
> right questions
>
> ---John Browning and Spencer Reiss, Wired 6.04.95

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine