Re: Implications and Issues in Converting UML to RDF/OWL When Constructing HL7 RIM Ontology

Hi Dan,

This a very helpful foundation to start from, Dan.  I would suggest
selecting 4 - 5 very specific examples of this use case, preferably
covering across the examples of family medical history clinical
statements including a variety of different semantic entities - e.g.,
genetic information, documented treatments of relatives for disorders
that include a genetic component, environmental conditions including
life style info and socio-economic status, etc..  Would it be
possible to build on the stroke victim Use Case Helen et al. have
assembled on the Wiki (http://esw.w3.org/topic/HclsigDscussionTopics/
HclsSubGroupACPP)?

I would also give an strong endorsement of of Vipul's statement "we
need to be very careful about translating from the UML to the OWL
meta-model.  It is quite likely that there are multiple alternatives
in OWL for representing the same UML construct and we would probably
need best practices for the same."

One thing is for certain, "definitely require" should be substituted
for "probably need" in the quote above.

I would also add the following:

	A) UML is an immensely useful formalism for creating or
communicating to others a given computable information model.
Unfortunately, despite the many similarities between the process by
which a formal OOP class-based model designed to compute on real-
world artifacts and the process by which one constructs an formal
ontological framework to characterize real-world entities, these two
orientations toward creating practical, computational infrastructures
have many conflicting requirements.
	B) As an example, the specific nature of UML-style modeling created
to support OOP system development and - in some circumstances -
interoperability (between implementation languages and persistence
mechanisms, for instance) tend to have properties that are orthogonal
to the goals of ontology development and ontology application.  This
is even true when one considers the mechanisms provided in UML and/or
XML for extending and combining models.
	C) The general issue when it comes to developing semantically
mediated systems interoperability (such as would be required for the
Use Case you describe here, Dan) is the dual goal of designing a
mechanism and consequently implementing an infrastructure both widely
applicable to the problem domain AND effective to the required level
of semantic granularity on any specific example case can also often
conflict with one another.  The only way to be certain the technical
solution you propose "has legs" is to work through SEVERAL
QUALITATIVELY DISTINCT examples of the Use Cases driving the creation
of the system.  This is even more true for semantically oriented
computational infrastructures than it is for those built around a
fixed information model.

For a helpful overview of how these issues hold for HL7 RIM, I'd
recommend reviewing the following:
	1) HL7 RIM: An Incoherent Standard, Smith, B and Ceusters, W.
(August 2006)
		http://ontology.buffalo.edu/HL7/doublestandards.pdf

	2) Methods in biomedical ontology., Yu, A.C. (2006), J Biomed
Inform. 2006 Jun;39(3):252-66
		http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16387553&query_hl=2&i
tool=pubmed_docsum
		http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?
_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WHD-4HRN3GB-1&_coverDate=06%2F30%
2F2006&_alid=439843079&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_qd=1&_cdi=6848&_sort=
d&view=c&_acct=C000007158&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=95578&md5=8be
fcae03811ddf4a1101c027f020dc5
		http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?
_ob=MImg&_imagekey=B6WHD-4HRN3GB-1-
W&_cdi=6848&_user=95578&_orig=search&_coverDate=06%2F30%
2F2006&_qd=1&_sk=999609996&view=c&_alid=439843079&_rdoc=1&wchp=dGLbVzz-z
SkzS&md5=bcd20c1e022879d25c7d5f70e4cc4707&ie=/sdarticle.pdf

The former is a well-informed review of the conflicting HL7 RIM
objectives of providing BOTH an information model AND a reference
ontology.  It's a bit stern in tone, but it's purpose is very much
constructive in nature.  I'm not an expert in the use of HL7-RIM, so
I'd most definitely defer to others on this list to provide counter
arguments to the issues they raise most specifically as relates to
'B' and 'C' above.  The basic recommendation is to simply separate
the data/info modeling from the reference ontology features into two
distinct efforts, analogous to the way FuGE and FuGO approach this
issue for functional genomics information.

The later is an excellent overview providing a clear sense of how and
why to avoid conflating data modeling with ontological engineering.
It only very briefly touches on HL7-RIM, but the entirety of the
review is extremely relevant to this topic.

I don't mean to appear overly didactic here.  Quite the opposite -
working with folks on this list has been an immensely valuable
learning experience for me.  I just thought it would be helpful to
provide a brief overview of the specifics on this issue Vipul has
raised in the context of HL7-RIM.

Cheers,
Bill

On Aug 27, 2006, at 11:11 AM, DAN.RUSSLER@ORACLE.COM wrote:

> Hi Vipul,
>
> Excellent comments...It seems to me that an ontology that doesn't
> have a testable use case can never be judged useful or not useful
> for any kind of predictable search strategy.
>
> Here is the use case I would like to explore:
>
> "An RDF system has been put in place to navigate to healthcare
> resources stored in many systems including genetic resources,
> proteomic resources, and healthcare medical record resources. One
> of the healthcare resources is a CDA document, which itself has a
> URI. However, within the CDA document, are detailed resources
> expressed as HL7 RIM Acts which also carry URI's. I would like to
> navigate from my RDF-based navigation system to a specific kind of
> HL7 RIM Act, e.g. a family medical history clinical statement,
> within a specific kind of CDA document. "
>
> I'm sure this use case could be better written with a little time.
> However, is this the kind of use case you were looking for?
>
> Dan Russler, M.D.
> VP Clinical Informatics
> Oracle
> (VM) 404-439-5983

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential.
This information is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us
immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete
all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.