Re: Implications and Issues in Converting UML to RDF/OWL When Constructing HL7 RIM Ontology

Thanks Helen,
I have some questions on your notes below that I'm afraid will display my ignorance and naivete in RDF. In addition, I don't have access to Protege and some of my questions may be well-answered there.
As you discussed classCodes and inheritance below, I didn't catch how moodCode was included.
In HL7, because an instance (read "resource) of classCode is always required to be associated with a moodCode, and because neither classCode nor moodCode can be changed once an instance is created, it seems natural to always express ontology relationships with a concatenation of classCode and moodCode. Therefore, to map inheritance in UML to "class" in RDF, it seems natural to create all the attributes associated with the HL7 classCode and its super classes as properties in the RDF class expressions for each concatenated HL7 classCode-moodCode.
Is this what you were saying below?
Also, as I understand from W3C documents, an association class in UML always maps to a predicate in an RDF triplet. So the HL7 typeCodes in ActRelationship, Participation, and RoleRelationship would all map to the predicate in the RDF triple that joins two classCode-MoodCode Subject/Objects in RDF.
Is this also what you were saying below?
Sorry for these questions if the answers are obvious. It will help me understand better....Thanks

Dan Russler, M.D.
VP Clinical Informatics
Oracle
(VM) 404-439-5983