Re: [HCLS] Bridging Ontology...An Automated Approach?

We are using mediation technology within the BIRN project as well.
It has many ways in which it can solve some of the problems we're
discussing.

My fear is every new repository requires an new mapping/registration
to the mediator and/or shared ontology.  This can be a very fragile
system over time, and - as you point out, Peter, tacit assumptions in
the source data models (and their use of semantics) - which of course
can also change - may greatly limit the depth and breadth with which
queries can be mapped to all the data sources.

Semantic web approaches appear to circumvent some of the technical
frailties, though I don't think they can necessarily overcome the
requirement for shared foundational and generic ontology layers.

Cheers,
Bill

On Aug 22, 2006, at 7:52 AM, Mork, Peter D.S. wrote:

>>> Creating explicit connections between all similar and/or identical
>> entries
>>> in two schemas is an arduous task that is impractical to do
> manually.
>>
>> [VK] Will mapping each of these schemas to an ontology and then using
> the
>> ontology to mediate further queries help alleviate the problem?
>>
>> ---Vipul
>>

> This is the approach adopted by caBIG.  Individual data models (or
> schemata) are related to a common ontology.  By itself, this doesn't
> allow one to rewrite queries (because of tacit assumptions present in
> the respective data models?), but the hope is that development of
> query-mediators will be facilitated by the existence of a loose
> mapping.
>
> Peter

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential.
This information is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us
immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete
all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.