RE: [HCLS] RE: scientific publishing task force update

May I propose cataloging methodically all possible inter-ontology relationships

Here is an initial list. Feel free to add to them

Let A1, ... , An be concepts in ontology O1 and B1, ..., Bn be concepts in
ontology O2. The following possibilities exist:

A1 = B1
A1 subset of B1 (analogous to B1 subset of A1)
A1 = some OWL expression involving B1, ..., Bn
(e.g., A1 subset of B1 AND B2)
A1 subset of some OWL expression involving B1, ..., Bn
Some OWL-expression involving A1, ..., An
= Some OWL-expression involving B1, ..., Bn
Some OWL-expression involving A1, ..., An
subset of Some OWL-expression involving B1, ..., Bn

A1 instance of B1 (This takes us beyond OWL-DL)
All variations above replacing subset-of by instance-of

Overlaps can be expressed as follows:

If A1 overlaps B1, then A1 and B1 will not be inconsistent
This can also be expressed using two conditional probability
statements:

Prob( x=A1 | x=B1) = p1
Prob( x=B1 | x=A1) = p2

Note p1 not necessarily = p2.

I may have missed some possbilities. So feel free to complete them.
May be we should open this up as a task in BIONT?

If interested in inter-ontology mappings you may want to check out:
http://lsdis.cs.uga.edu/~kashyap/publications/MKIS00.pdf

Cheers,

---Vipul