Re: LSID lookup details: help? [was: All about the LSID URI/URN]

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 15:27 -0400, jbarkley@nist.gov wrote:
> dan,
>
> I recall reading that the PDB Resolver is offline pending
> upgrades.

Ah... so 404 happens in the LSID world too. :)

Wait... isn't this exactly the case where the software
is supposed to fall back to DDNS/NAPTR stuff? Is that
fallback mechanism not deployed in some/all/most LSID clients?

> You might try urn:lsid:gdb.org:GenomicSegment:GDB132938
> which does work with the BioPathways Resolver:
>
> http://lsid.biopathways.org/resolver/urn:lsid:gdb.org:Genom
> icSegment:GDB132938

I'm not sure what you mean... do I need to know a resolver
as well as an LSID in order to look up the LSID? i.e. does
it work like USENET news, where I need to know a nearby
NNTP server as well as a message ID?

This perl software I found seems to do something with that LSID
even when I don't tell it about biopathways.org...

~/src/lsid-perl-1.1.4$ perl examples/client/lsid_client.pl
urn:lsid:gdb.org:GenomicSegment:GDB132938
Client settings:
Cleaning cache:
        no

LSID Given:
        urn:lsid:gdb.org:GenomicSegment:GDB132938

Canonicalized LSID:
        urn:lsid:gdb.org:GenomicSegment:GDB132938

The authority is located at:
        lsid.gdb.org:80/authority/

For the resource identified by the LSID:

Service: 'gdbSOAP', DATA can be retrieved at:

Service: 'gdb', DATA can be retrieved at:

Service: 'gdbSOAP', METADATA can be retreived at:
        (soap) http://lsid.gdb.org:80/authority/metadata

Service: 'gdb', METADATA can be retreived at:
        (http)
http://lsid.gdb.org:80/authority/metadata/?lsid=urn:lsid:gdb.org:GenomicSegment:GDB132938

> jb
>

> Quoting Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>:
>

> > In today's call, I learned a bit about how LSID lookup
> > works:
> >
> >  (1) try to find an SRV record using the domain in the
> > LSID
> >  (2) fall back to a DDDS lookup and NAPTR and such
> >
> >[...]
> > >
> > [1] http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?dtc/04-05-01
> > [2]
> > http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/lsid/lsid-
> perl-1.1.4.tar.gz
> >  <- http://lsid.sourceforge.net/

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E