RE: Semantic web article in Nature Biotechnology

Hello Xiaoshu,

The proposed charter for HCLSIG (http://www.w3.org/2005/05/swlsig-charter) specifically identifies the need to develop Core Vocabularies in the life sciences and biomedicine. This includes building-out and normalizing ontologies such as you suggest, and a working group in this area will be formed (assuming enough interest) as part of the initial activities of the interest group.

What we still need to do as a group is understand what ARE some of the important ways to apply biological and biomedical ontologies, especially from a life science semantic web perspective: resource cataloging, data integration, literature imining and tagging, horizontal inferencing, analysis and web-service management? I hope we will be able to discuss to determine which of these we need to work towards for greatest community value.

best,

Eric